Thursday 22 January 2015

25 Classic Australian Kids Books

Good Reading is probably my favourite magazine. I buy lots of other magazines of course, but this one I actually read from cover to cover each month, and then reread them when I find them languishing about the house somewhere. There are always many intriguing new books reviewed, and fascinating bookish articles.

Back in September 2014 they published this great list of Cracker Jack Kids Books, highlighting 25 of the best Australian kids books from the last 45 years. As with all things we Aussies don't mind claiming good things that could probably be construed as being from New Zealand.

Possum Magic - Mem Fox, Julie Vivas

Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge - Mem Fox, Julie Vivas

Who Sank the Boat - Pamela Allen

My Grandma Lived in Gooligulch - Graeme Base

Animalia - Graeme Base

Where the Forest Meets the Sea - Jeannie Baker

Clive Eats Alligators - Alison Lester

My Place - Nadia Wheatley, Donna Rawlins

Edward the Emu - Sheena Knowles, Rod Clement

Edwina the Emu - Sheena Knowles, Rod Clement

John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat - Jenny Wagner, Ron Brooks

Thing - Robin Klein

Rose Meets Mr Wintergarten - Bob Graham

Sister Madge's Book of Nuns - Doug McLeod, Craig Smith (see my review)



Grug - Ted Prior

There's a Sea in My Bedroom - Margaret Wild, Jane Tanner

There's a Hippopotamus on Our Roof Eating Cake - Hazel Edwards, Deborah Niland

The Man Who Loved Boxes - Stephen Michael King (see my review)

Uhu - Annette Macarthur-Onslow (see my review)



The Giant Devil-Dingo - Dick Roughsey

When the Wind Changed - Ruth Park, Deborah Niland

The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch - Ronda and David Ermitage

Sunshine - Jan Ormerod

Moonlight - Jan Ormerod

The Inch Boy - Junko Morimoto

15/25

And now if you'll excuse me I'm off to reread my childhood copy of Uhu.

March 2015 16/25

May 2015 17/25

July 2015 18/25

3 comments:

Brona said...

Thanks to my teaching days I've read all but 2 of these books. I suspect the Dick Roughsey one is out of print as it's not one I've seen or heard of anywhere.
And Sister Madge was recently rereleased - so I must take a closer look at the copy we have at work :-)

Uhu is simply gorgeous!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Now I'm off to see which of these I've not read that I can find here at the library. Love lists. Love lists that take me outside the US. Thank you, Louise.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've read nine. Only one (My Grandma) of the remaining twenty-six titles is available at the library. A little disappointing.