Tuesday 6 January 2015

Twenty Mighty Girl Classics

Another day another book list it seems. This one from Amightygirl website, which was new to me. It's a great list of 20 classic stories starring smart, confident, courageous girls all published before 1950.

As always the books I've read are in red.


Madeline - Ludwig Bemelmans


Twig - Elizabeth Orton Jones





Betsy-Tacy - Maud Hart Lovelace


The Hundred Dresses - Eleanor Estes


The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett (see my review)


Strawberry Girl - Lois Lenski


The Princess and the Goblin - George MacDonald (see my review)


Heidi - Johanna Spyri (see my review)


The Middle Moffat - Eleanor Estes





Emily of New Moon - L.M. Montgomery


Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder


Pippi Longstocking - Astrid Lindgren (see my review)


A Little Princess - Frances Hodgson Burnett


The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum


The Secret of the Old Clock - Carolyn Keene


Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery


Pollyanna - Eleanor H. Porter (see my review)


Little Women - Louisa May Alcott


A Girl of the Limberlost - Gene Strattton-Porter


Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen



10/20


Interesting that only three were written by men. Of the ten that I haven't read there are many that I've been meaning to read for year- neglected classics, with the obligatory few that I've never heard of before- Twig, Strawberry Girl and The Middle Moffat. 


July 2017 11/20

1 comment:

Esme said...

all great choices-I have been meaning to return to these old classics and you gave me another reminder.