Tuesday 13 January 2015

Top Ten(ish) Books I Should Have Read in 2014

I always like trawling through the end of year lists of the best books. There's always many, many books in those lists that I meant to read during the year. Some I bought. Some I planned to read. But didn't. Some I hadn't really noticed, but then see them everywhere.

This year those books included two short story collections


Ceridwen Dovey- Only the Animals

Hilary Mantel-
The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher

Adult Fiction

Sonya Hartnett-
Golden Boys

Joan London-
The Golden Age

Evie Wyld-
All the Birds, Singing

Karen Joy Fowler-
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

Elizabeth Gilbert-
The Signature of All Things

Nonfiction

Helen Garner-
This House of Grief
I read it in 2015 (see my review)

Helen Macdonald-
H is for Hawk

Don Watson-
The Bush

Tim Low-
Where Song Began

Young Adult

Alice Pung- Laurinda

A.J. Betts - Zac & Mia

And all the books I missed out on reading from the CBCA Shortlist 2014.

Top Ten Tuesday is a great weekly meme
from the folks at 
The Broke and the Bookish

4 comments:

Brona said...

I have a few of these on my how did I mis that list too!

I can highly recommend Only the Animals (I"m about 2/3 way through - quirky, fabulous) and Signature of All Things and This House of Grief and Golden Boys.

I hope to get into Laurinda soon & We Are Completely Beside Ourselves (I've given it to just about everyone I know based on great feedback, but haven't actually opened the book myself yet!)

If you get through all of these, yoou will have had a great reading year :-)

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC list!Can highly recommend the Hartnett, Garner and Fowler (in fact the Fowler was my favourite book of 2014, and Hartnett made my top 10).

London and Wyld are on my list. Have just finished the Pung (good solid YA).

Seems like we have lots of books in common :-)

Anonymous said...

And I notice you're doing Foodies reading challenge. Me too! Pleased to meet you fellow Aussie-foodie-reading-blogger :-)

I'm here: https://booksaremyfavouriteandbest.wordpress.com/

Susan said...

Wow, I haven't even heard of most of these. That's okay, though, I love finding new books to read.

Happy TTT!