Sunday 15 February 2015

Lynley Dodd A Retrospective at the State Library of NSW

I had a brief summer break in Sydney last month. It was a lovely few days. I had a relaxing time, but got out and about to see a few things too. The State Library of NSW often has really interesting exhibitions in the Mitchell wing. I'd never been able to get to one before. This day I made time to go see the Lynley Dodd Retrospective. It was great.

You might reasonably expect this to be Major Mitchell.
It's not. It's General Sir Richard Bourke. 





You have to look on the explorer door for
Major Mitchell.

Ah, there he is..


It's a beautiful building inside and out. 

A peek into the reading room.

Gorgeous stained glass

Modern Artworks

Hairy Maclary was there to lead the way 

Lynley Dodd has been writing children's books since the 1970s
and is still working today

Our favourite cats 


and dogs show the way in


The exhibition was originally shown in
Tauranga Art Gallery in 2011


There's lots of great ways to get the kids involved

You can find traces of Paris everywhere if you try
An illustration from My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes

Lynley Dodd is a classically trained artist

More ways to get the kids involved

The first ever sketch of Hairy Maclary
from 1979

Exhibitions like this are always fabulous to see the amount of work that goes into producing a children's picture book. 

The 11th (!) draft for Slinki Malinki Catflaps

There were two other exhibitions on this day, all very close, and easy to drift from one to another (all free).

I caught the last day of this incredible photography exhibition
Pictures of Australian WWI soldiers taken by a French couple


There's also a fascinating permanent collection
Until 15 March 2015
Monday - Wednesday, Friday 9-5
Thursday 9-8
Saturday/Sunday 10-5
Free admission

Saturday Snapshot is a wonderful weekly meme now hosted by WestMetroMommy

6 comments:

Paulita said...

Louise, What a majestic building, and I love the drawings, especially the cats! Here's Mine

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Thank you for sharing your visit to the Lynley Dodd exhibit. It looks like it was delightful. I can imagine spending a day wandering the halls of that beautiful museum. I would love to go there someday.
Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

So gorgeous! I love when public buildings become a place to spotlight beautiful art. Something for everyone to enjoy. Thanks for sharing, and here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Excellent post! I= could hang out there a while ;)

Brona said...

I hadn't fully appreciated the fact that the library and the art gallery were obviously built to complement each other until I saw your pics (at first glance I thought you'd been to an exhibition at the art gallery!)

But how did I miss the Lynley Dodd one? The new gallery spaces at the library are amazing & I keep meaning to go back to see the changing exhibitions.......

Thanks for sharing :-)

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Dodd's was one of the first 1001 books I read. I had never heard of it before the read. Afterward I was filled with a deep humility...I had thought I was well read, children's lit-wise, but no.