Monday 23 February 2015

Shakespeare and Company

Rather incredibly it took me four trips to Paris to make it inside Shakespeare and Company, one of the most famous bookstores in the world. I can't believe it either, but I guess I usually manage to buy enough books accidentally when I'm away, I don't need to go deliberately searching out more books that I would naturally want to buy to stuff into my suitcase that will at some stage burst at the seams.



I knew exactly where it was of course. I've walked past many times, once this past trip there were people filming a movie maybe, or an ad, although there were only a few people, it wouldn't have been a big movie, but they did have one of those clapper things.

I always scan their events page before any trip to Paris. They have scads of great writerly events but these always seem to be just before I arrive in Paris, or just after I leave. I guess the Wicker boys were never keen to go either, although they wouldn't have discouraged me. Whatever the reasons for the delay, last year I finally made it inside. And it was fun.



Tempting books outside

and in


Of course I popped upstairs to the children's section. Just to check out what was on the shelves.





Noticeboards and Shaun Tan

I need to read this one. 

They don't like you taking photos of inside the shop apparently because of customer privacy, so I was careful not to include any customers. I did manage to escape without buying anything this day. Sadly I didn't come across their famous cat, Kitty, but there's always next time.

Some lucky folks get to stay in the shop (check out this link, it's amazing).

Dreaming of France is a wonderful Monday meme
from Paulita at An Accidental Blog 
All About France a monthly
love fest for France

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this place! My Paris-based friend took us there last time we were in Paris. How cool would it be to live in the bookstore?

Brona said...

Definitely planning a visit here my time in Paris....whenever that will be....!?
They filmed part of the Before Sunset/Sunrise trilogy here which adds to my intrigue factor :-)

Esme said...

This is a fun bookstore-I have never seen the kitty. The Red Wheelbarrow was another good one (now closed). There is also a Canadian bookstore for one I need a little home.

Paulita said...

Louise, These are fun shots of Shakespear & Co. I've never been inside either. Thanks for playing along with Dreaming of France. Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Happy you finally made it there. It was quite messy when I visited. But it was a good kind of mess.

Phoebe | Lou Messugo said...

I came across you through the Dreaming of France linkup and happy to do so. Would you believe I lived in Paris for 10 years and probably got to this iconic shop in my last year there? Shaming really, I can't explain why as I LOVE bookshops. You might be interested in a lin up I run called #AllAboutFrance which opens tomorrow. I'd love to see you join in, your posts are perfect for it.

Phoebe | Lou Messugo said...

So you did join up! Thank you.

Rebecca Beesley said...

that bookshop looks amazing! Will have to add it to our list to do next time. #allaboutfrance

Betty Carlson said...

I loved your photos of the bookshop. I have also walked past it many times, but I think I only went inside once -- and that was back in the 80s!

I found your blog through #AllAboutFrance and it looks like you are very into expat/French expat books, so I am going to start following you!