Monday 11 August 2014

Parachute


Parachute is a totally amazing book! Thankfully it was shorlisted for the CBCA Picture Book of the Year 2014 otherwise I may not have found it. And I just love it. I think it might be my favourite for the category- and YAY I did get a category finished. Yes I managed to read 6 picture books since April!

Toby is a small boy in a big world. He always wears a parachute to help allay his fears.




Matt Ottley uses perspective brilliantly to convey Toby's unease and anxiety.


And Danny Parker lets his words tell us how Toby overcomes his fears.

I do so love an Illustrators Note to tell us something about how the illustrations were made- Matt used a Wacom Cintiq graphics tablet to create the illustrations using virtual oil paint, oil pastel and pencil. I'm not even really sure what that all means, but virtual oil paint- that sounds cool.

The CBCA Award winners are announced this week! Friday 15th August at noon.

3 comments:

Brona said...

I'm trying to fit in my last few reviews before the winner is announced this week too :-)

I've managed to read all the early childhood AND picture book nominees, but the other sections are a tad light on.

It's nice to set a goal...then watch it as it whizzes on past!!

I'm a Silver Buttons fan, but that's probably no surprise to anyone.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I wish more of these Australian books were available here in the US. (I know. I rant about this all the time. But I really do. Are you listening, American publishers? I hope so.)

Louise said...

I wish I had got through as many nominees as you did Brona! Of course I was very disappointed that Parachute didn't win.

I hope they're listening too Deb. I'm sure you would love this book. It's difficult when they're not available. Fishpond do free shipping...
http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Parachute-Danny-Parker-Matthew-Ottley-Illustrated-by/9781742976778