Friday 15 August 2014

CBCA Book of the Year Awards Winners 2014

Well today was the big day, the announcement in Canberra of the winners of the CBCA Book of the Year Awards 2014. Congratulations to all the winners and honour books.

See the Judges Report on Books of the Year 2014 here.

Book of the Year Older Reader Winner (Judges Comments)

Acceptance speech by Fiona Wood


Book of the Year Older Reader Honour Books

Fairytales for Wilde Girls - Allyse Near
The Sky so Heavy - Claire Zorn

Book of the Year Younger Readers Winner (Judges Comments)



Book of the Year Younger Readers Honour Books

My Life as an Alphabet - Barry Jonsberg (see my review)
Light Horse Boy - Dianne Wolfer, Brian Simmonds (illustrator

Book of the Year Early Childhood Winner (Judges Comments)

Acceptance Speech Andrew Joyner


Book of the Year Early Childhood Honour Books

I'm a Dirty Dinosaur - Janeen Brian, Ann James (illustrator)
Banjo and Ruby Red - Libby Gleeson, Freya Blackwood (illustrator)

Book of the Year Picture Book Winner (Judges Comments)

Acceptance Speech Shaun Tan
(see my review)


Book of the Year Picture Book Honour Books

King Pig - Nick Bland (see my review)
Silver Buttons - Bob Graham (see my review)

Eve Pownall Award for Information Books Winner (Judges Comments)



Eve Pownall Award for Information Books Honour Books

Welcome to My Country - Laklak Burarrwanga and family
Ice, Wind, Rock - Peter Gouldthorpe

Crichton Award for New Illustrators Winner


Back in April I had a go at predicting the winners (based on covers before I'd ready many of them at all. I picked 3/6 just based on the cover. 50%! I'm pretty chuffed with that.

2 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I had to go add these to my library order online. I could only find one (the Tan book!) that is already published here but three others will be published in the next few months. The Swap will be called Baby Swap here and the Big Red Kangaroo will have a different cover.

Louise said...

Shaun Tan is so popular worldwide that it's not surprising he is available. The Swap is super cute. I read it last week, while growing the display of winners at my library. It will be very popular I think. Australian books are really very strong- there's great new titles every week, every month, every year. I hope you find more of them.