Saturday 23 August 2014

Eat Melbourne

Recently I snuck down to Melbourne for a few days. All my time was taken up with a rather intense course, and I was sick, so I didn't arrange any social engagements as I normally would. A girl still has to eat though, or find things that she would eat if only she had the time.

Even having a quick solo meal at the restaurant at your hotel is fun. Heirloom on Bourke Street.

Heirloom Tofu
Tofu foam, orange ponzu, anchovy granola, spring onion
I suspected that tofu foam would be a mistake-
for me it was

Pitoro Gyoza
Pork and prawn dumplings with chill oil and ponzu
spicy and delicious

Aburi Salmon,
Seared salmon, witlof, snowpea, salmon caviar yuzu sesame dressing
delicious
Pastries at Laurent Patisserie for breakfast on the run

Much deliciousness left for another time

I didn't even get in the door of Le Petit Gateau
but was stopped in my tracks in the street
-next time
Buying presents for Master Wicker

It's almost impossible for me not to to order Agedashi tofu-
Edoya Russell Street

 or Sashimi and Asahi. Edoya
I was attracted by a queue on Bourke Street for The Lab Nitrogen Gelato Bar


Interesting to watch. They put a liquid into the KitchenAid and then pour in
liquid nitrogen to make the gelato on the spot.

Raspberry and Nutella Tart. $6
A bit style over substance I thought.
Perhaps the other varieties are better?
My one meal out with company, we tried a new dumpling house. Shanghai Dragon Dumpling House on Russell Street. Fabulous.
We were stuffed with delicious house made dumplings,
three sorts for under $30 for 2. 
Walking through alleys we came upon Prix Fixe who are doing a fabulous English Midwinter menu inspired by The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. 

What a fab idea!

The door was even made over as a wardrobe
I wanted a nice pudding this night, and didn't want to go back for more nitrogelato. A quick google and I was off to OmNom at the Adelphi in Flinders Lane, where I was introduced to the concept of a Dessert Degustation! OMG. All desserts should be degustations... $55 for 3 courses. 

Basil Garden
Dark chocolate, vanilla, olive oil, honey, basil, lime,
white chocolate and meringue
Interesting, but my least favourite of my 3

Mont Blanc
Meringue, dark chocolate, chestnut, vanilla, blackberry, feuilletine
Hello. I've died and gone to heaven.
This was AMAZING.
Tarte tatin.
Granny smith apple, 5 spice, chantilly, vanilla, lemongrass and ginger
Which was nice, really nice, but I was yearning for more Mont Blanc. 

Puppy Cakes spied at BreadTop on my last morning. 
There are many reasons why I love visiting Melbourne. The food is just one of them. Melbourne was recently voted the world's friendliest city.


Saturday Snapshot is a wonderful weekly meme
 now hosted by 
WestMetroMommy

This post is linked to Weekend Cooking
a fabulous weekly meme at BethFishReads

20 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Wow! A food fest!

skiourophile said...

We share an agedashi tofu weakness, I see. And I love the idea of anchovy granola. Have you ever been to Hutong dumpling house, off Bourke St in Market Lane? Very good dumplings, and also good on Szechuan things, though the downside of eating by oneself is that so many things are meant to share, so one can't 'graze' as much as I think dumpling houses deserve!

Louise said...

It always is Deb! Wherever I go actually- Melbourne or not.

I don't think I've been to the Hutong Dumpling House Vicki. I'm always on the lookout for new great dumpling houses though. Yes dumpling houses are better with a crowd so you can try more dumplings- We had three different styles that night.

Brona said...

Oh my you do know your food places Louise! Although I'm still stuck back at the anchovy granola (really? they can do that? legally?)

But the salmon looks incredible...and I'm so doing the dessert degustation next time we're in Melbourne :-)

I love the Melbournbe laneways too.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

What deliciousness! Thanks for sharing...and now I will be longing for some of these treats. Not a fan of Tofu, but love dumplings and gelato!

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

P.S. I don't think I would sample the Heirloom Tofu. I'm so unfamiliar with those individual ingredients that I can't even imagine what they would taste like when combined.

Sean @ His And Her Hobbies said...

Thanks for sharing. The gelato in the kitchenaids looks fun. I have never made it to Melbourne but would like to some day.

Sean @ His and Her Hobbies

Ginx Craft said...

What a selection of scrummy looking food. Not sure about the tofu foam either, but the rest looks delicious. My son would love a job in the liquid nitrogen place.

Jackie McGuinness said...

Oh! Dumplings - almost my favourite food in the world!!!
I am bookmarking this post as we hope to be in Melbourne in December.

JoAnn said...

This is all so beautiful... and now I'm starving!! The puppy cakes are adorable.

Beth F said...

Ok, must now plan a trip halfway around the world! Love those puppy cakes

Susan said...

It all looks so good, but I really want to go to the gelato place.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Delicious-looking food and beautifully presented. The desserts look heavenly. Eating different foods is part of the fun of travel, isn't it?
Sandy @ Texas Twang

Laurie C said...

It seems like adventurous eaters have more fun! The sweets are more my speed, but I loved seeing all these foodie photos!

Carole said...

Fab food! I must try to visit Melbourne again soon. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

All those food shots made me want to visit Melbourne. yum. And dog cakes! How creative. MY SSS

Anonymous said...

What great photos you took of them all. You have practically salivating for a plate of awesomeness and I've just eaten :)
Thanks for sharing these, much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

No wonder Melbourne is rated the world's most livable city, right there on the top of the Economist's list, just came out August 2014. CLICK HERE to see the top ten. Just the variety of fine cuisines on your post speaks volumes. Now, mind you, our Cowtown, Calgary, is in the no. 5 spot, tied with Adelaide. ;)

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

Those puppy cakes are adorable.

Paulita said...

Tofu foam and anchovy granola just sound wrong. Glad you got to make up for it with other tasty treats.