Tuesday 31 December 2013

Top Ten(ish) Books I Read in 2013 (A Year in Books 2013)


Top Ten Tuesday is a great weekly meme from the folks at The Broke and the Bookish

It's always fun to look back on the reading year, and ponder the best of the year. A tradition I started in 2011, and continued in 2012

This makes three Top Ten Tuesday posts in a row! A personal best effort. 

This year I gave 11 books 5 stars on goodreads. 


My year started with a bang. Possibly my favourite book of the year. Lois Lowry's The Giver





David Weisner's Flotsam was a reread, still worth each and every one of its 5 stars. 




Janet Hunt's E3 Call Home is a great bird book. It seems I've been meaning to do a post about this one all year. 




Susan Hill's Howard's End is on the Landing was a surprise package for me. It was fantastic. 




Jackie French made yet another appearance in my books of the year with A Day to Remember



It seems Graeme Simsion's The Rosie Project was a favourite for pretty much everyone who read it, I was no exception.




Joan Lindsay's Australian classic Picnic at Hanging Rock was everything I hoped it would be. 




It's always a pleasure to read Sonya Hartnett. This year I read her stunning Thursday's Child





I also love a lost cat story. Caroline Paul's Lost Cat




Patrick Ness's incredible, moving masterpiece, A Monster Calls. 





I read two books by David Walliams this year, Billionaire Boy was certainly my favourite. 




Rick Gekoski Tolkien's Gown another gem that remains unblogged, but certainly worth searching out. As I suspect are his other books. 




4 Aussie titles

2 picture books

5 nonfiction/memoir titles

7 female authors

5 male authors

3 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

It was a good reading year for you. So many of these are unfamiliar to me. I must add them to my wishlist at Amazon.

Happy New Year, Louise!

Satia said...

Flotsam was definitely one of my favorites when I came upon it. And I loved The Giver as well.

Lady In Read said...

The Giver is something I need to read soon as well..
And many of the books on your list are going on my TBR. Neil Gaiman's 'Fortunately the Milk' is a book I am going to read soon as well. Santa got it for my kids this Christmas!