Tuesday 17 December 2013

Top Ten New to Me Authors in 2013



Top Ten Tuesday is a great weekly meme from the folks at The Broke and the Bookish. I've been a rather infrequent Top Tenner for some time. Most of the time I don't have time to participate, but occasionally I manage to check out the schedule before hand and get myself organised.

I've read lots of great new to me authors this year, and so this topic was perfect for me. Plus I really love an excuse to look back at the best books of the year, of course not all of those are new to me authors, but this year a great many are. I've linked to my reviews.

First off the fiction. Kids and adult.

My very first book of the year was a new to me author- and it was a corker! Lois Lowry's The Giver.




May brought two great new authors. Patrick Ness's A Monster Calls.




Deb Kandelaars' Memoirs of a Suburban Girl. 



In June I read one of the Australian books of 2013. Graeme Simsion's The Rosie Project.



In August I finally read an Australian classic I should have read long ago. Joan Lindsay's Picnic at Hanging Rock. 



In October I finally got to read David Walliams' first book The Boy in the Dress.



On the nonfiction side I was wowed by two books about books.

In March I read Susan Hill's Howards End is on the Landing.


And more recently Rick Gekoski's Tolkiens' Gown. I haven't blogged about it yet, but there will be some gushing to come.


I read two books about sugar and our modern diets that were very influential for me. Although I'm a long, long way from omitting sugar (really they mean fructose) from my diet.

I read the book that started the whole sugar ball rolling David Gillespie's Sweet Poison in March.



And I read Sarah Wilson's I Quit Sugar in September.


It's really been a great year for new to me authors.

7 comments:

Brona said...

Howard's End is on the Landing sounds intriguing Louise.
I also have The Giver on my TBR wishlist.
A Monster Call was pretty powerful reading (and looking).
And everyone seems to love The Rosie Project (me too). I've also had the pleasure of meeting Graeme (see! first name basis!!) briefly at work. His twitter account as Prof Tillman is pretty funny too :-)

Michelle said...

I've heard good things about Patrick Ness. I really want to read More Than This. It sounds super original. I would like to read The Giver someday also. It just sounds like something everyone should read :)

Thanks for stopping by My TTT

Doris @ OABR said...

Haven't read any of those books.
Thanks for sharing and happy Tuesday <3

Our TTT
Doris @ OABR

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm on the waiting list for Rosie Project and now must head off to add Tolkien's Gown. Nothing I like more than books about books, I think. Happy to see you participate here, Louise.

Samantha Stewart said...

I still haven't read anything by Patrick Ness... I keep meaning to but I haven't gotten around to his books yet.
Great list :)

Susan said...

This is a great list. I should be getting The Rosie Project from the library pretty soon- I can't wait to read it.

Anonymous said...

Lois Lowry is a fantastic author to discover. I grew up reading her books and even met her a few years ago. A Monster Calls is on my list, because it was inspired by an idea by Siobhan Dowd. She was one of my new authors in 2012.