Saturday 2 July 2016

Best in Show

Best in Show is a fabulous exhibition currently on at Orange Regional Gallery. It is an exhibition inspired by Steve Miller's 2012 book Dogs in Australian Art, which is now available in a  new expanded edition to accompany the exhibition.

The exhibition was a wonderful eclectic mix of media, form and style representing dogs in art since the colonial Australia. Visitors were greeted by Smudge on entering the exhibition. 



Tim Storrier is a prominent artist from Bathurst. He won the Archibald Prize in 2012 for The Histrionic Wayfarer (after Bosch). It was a particularly controversial win- after all it's difficult to win a portrait prize for a painting that doesn't actually feature a face. It did feature a little dog called Smudge - although I didn't know that at the time. 

Smudge. 2010. Tim Storrier. 

Poor Smudge was there in person too. 


Smudge was a rescue dog previously known as Midgey. Sadly, as Midgey Smudge was owned by a teacher and one day she ate a guinea pig which just happened to be the classroom pet of her owner. And so it was off to the pound for Midgey. Thankfully she went on to greater fame. 

I loved this arrangement of dogs by Craig Koometa. 





Dog snow globe!

Lair. Fiona Hall 2004


Roy- Prince of Orange. 2009. Victor Gordon.

I was interested that there were two paintings referencing the super famous Hokusai's Great Wave off Kanagawa. I laughed out loud to see this one. It's got a fabulous title too. 

Michael and I are just slipping down to the pub for a minute.
1992. 
Lin Onus. 


Portrait of the artist's wife c 1902. Rupert Bunny

Bargain Hunter. 2013. Joanna Braithwaite.

I don't think I've ever seen the wave facing the other way, it's somewhat disconcerting. 

Dent at sea. 2006. Peter Kingston. 

Dog in a gas mask. 2103. Peter Wegner. 

My best friend. 1910. Douglas Fry. 

Log Dog. 1970. Aleks Danko.


Sadly Best in Show finishes tomorrow July 3. 

Orange Regional Gallery
Byng St Orange
10-4 daily (closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Good Friday)

Saturday Snapshot is a wonderful weekly meme
 now hosted by 
WestMetroMommy

6 comments:

Vedika @ Poems and Poets said...

It's certainly a unique idea to visit a gallery of dog related art. It's a great one- and one that I wouldn't think of. I loved your pictures!

Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

I love dogs and this would be a dream day for me! Beautiful artwork and I love those wooden statues. Glad you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

What an eclectic exhibition of our canine friend! Eep. love that altered Hokusai painting. ;)

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm happy they allowed you to take photos. I couldn't in Santa Fe. Huge disappointment.

http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/07/paris-in-july.html

Vicki said...

I've never seen an exhibit like this. So cool!

Paulita said...

Who ever knew there was so much dog art? It does add something, doesn't it? I was visiting for Paris in July. I hope you'll jump in with Dreaming of France again when you can. Here’s my Dreaming of France meme