1. My Brilliant Career - Miles Franklin, first published 1901
2. The Harp in the South - Ruth Park, first published 1948
3. Voss - Patrick White, first published 1957
4. Picnic at Hanging Rock - Joan Lindsay, first published 1967 (see my review)
5. Cloudstreet - Tim Winton, first published 1991
6. True History of the Kelly Gang - Peter Carey, first published 2000
7. The Secret River - Kate Grenville, 2005
8. Carpentaria - Alexis Wright, 2006
9. A Fraction of the Whole - Steve Toltz, 2008
10. Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey, first published 2009
11. Autumn Laing - Alex Miller, 2011
12. The Narrow Road to the Deep North - Richard Flanagan, 2014
5/12, well really 4.5/12, as I only ever got half way through Cloudstreet. It was a difficult time when I tried to read it, I was working permanent night shift, I've long thought that I should try it again, and I hope to one day.
I'm a great fan of Jasper Jones, so exceptionally thrilled to see it here. The Secret River languishes in the OMG I Can't Believe I Haven't Read That Yet section of my life.
Oh, dear! I've only read Picnic At Hanging Rock and that's because I had to teach it. I did start Kelly Gang. I tend to get distracted. So you're well ahead of me. (I did read his novel Jack Maggs, which had Aussie connections)
Great choices and I can happily declare to only have 3 to go to complete this list - Voss, Carpentaria & Autumn Laing :-)
I wonder why there is no Henry Handel Richardson on it though?
Woo hoo, I've read 11 of the 12. Still have to read Autumn Laing. Not a bad list though one can always quibble about these things.
If we hadn't read Picnic for our 1001 group, I'd be 0 for 12.
Post a Comment