Thursday 28 July 2016

12 Books Every Australian Should Read

I do love book lists that make the books within compulsory reading. They're always good to ponder, and this one from Australian Geographic is no exception. Check out the original page as it gives a passioned plea for each books inclusion.



1. My Brilliant Career - Miles Franklin, first published 1901

2. The Harp in the South - Ruth Park, first published 1948



3. Voss - Patrick White, first published 1957

4. Picnic at Hanging Rock - Joan Lindsay, first published 1967 (see my review)

5. Cloudstreet - Tim Winton, first published 1991

6. True History of the Kelly Gang - Peter Carey, first published 2000

7. The Secret River - Kate Grenville, 2005

8. Carpentaria - Alexis Wright, 2006

9. A Fraction of the Whole - Steve Toltz, 2008

10. Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey, first published 2009




11. Autumn Laing - Alex Miller, 2011


12. The Narrow Road to the Deep North - Richard Flanagan, 2014

5/12, well  really 4.5/12, as I only ever got half way through Cloudstreet. It was a difficult time when I tried to read it, I was working permanent night shift, I've long thought that I should try it again, and I hope to one day.

I'm a great fan of Jasper Jones, so exceptionally thrilled to see it here. The Secret River languishes in the OMG I Can't Believe I Haven't Read That Yet section of my life.

4 comments:

Sue Bursztynski said...

Oh, dear! I've only read Picnic At Hanging Rock and that's because I had to teach it. I did start Kelly Gang. I tend to get distracted. So you're well ahead of me. (I did read his novel Jack Maggs, which had Aussie connections)

Brona said...

Great choices and I can happily declare to only have 3 to go to complete this list - Voss, Carpentaria & Autumn Laing :-)

I wonder why there is no Henry Handel Richardson on it though?

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo, I've read 11 of the 12. Still have to read Autumn Laing. Not a bad list though one can always quibble about these things.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

If we hadn't read Picnic for our 1001 group, I'd be 0 for 12.