Wednesday 20 March 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday 20/3/13




Wondrous Words Wednesday is a fabulous weekly meme hosted by Bermuda Onion, where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our weekly reading.  

Reading the weekend supplements is often a great source of new words for me too. Today's word comes from a feature about the bicentenary of Pride and Prejudice

Chapbook (Noun)

I'm tempted, for instance, to make a chapbook out of the appearances of Mr Collins, the young man who is to inherit the Bennet estate after the death of Elizabeth's father.

A small book or pamphlet containing poems, ballads, stories, or religious tracts. (So called because it was originally sold by chapmen- peddlers). The Free Dictionary.

Picture source

6 comments:

Brona said...

I wonder if a chapbook is an old fashioned type of blog?!

Julia Tomiak said...

Thank you! I keep reading poet blogger posts about "chapboooks" and I wondered where on earth the term came from. This helps a lot.
And I agree with Brona- early blogs!

Anonymous said...

Never heard of these books, very interesting.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/03/wondrous-words-wednesday_20.html

Margot said...

What a great word you found this week. I like the idea of an early version of blogging. I also didn't realize we were approaching the bicentenary of P & P. That's hard to believe. Sounds like I need to re-read again.

bermudaonion said...

I learned chapbook during National Poetry Month last year so it's a new word for me too.

Lisa said...

This must be word and picture week - that's a great shot.