Saturday 20 June 2015

Art in the Grounds of Versailles

I've been to Versailles quite a few times now. We loved it so much the first time we went back several more times, and arranged a night in the town. Then again on two more trips to France. It's vast of course, and I still haven't seen it all, but there is always something new each time.

My last visit was back in 2013, and they had some great artworks in the grounds. The mix of modern horticultural pieces was interesting in the refined formal garden of wonderment that form the grounds of the Chateau.







I love this photo for some reason. 
 It's a view down the inside of these trees:



I was reminded of this day because there is a new outdoor art installation in the grounds of Versailles this summer. It is somewhat controversial, and in dubious taste really I feel. It has already been vandalised

Saturday Snapshot is a wonderful weekly meme
 now hosted by 
WestMetroMommy
Dreaming of France is a wonderful Monday meme
from Paulita at An Accidental Blog 

12 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

We walked the grounds when we went in 2010 and never made it inside. The music was playing on Sunday afternoon and it was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

For some reasons, the last couple of times when I visited France I didn't go to V. Now, seeing you sharing your love for V. I must go the next time. Have you seen the movie, A Little Chaos? It's directed by Alan Rickman about the landscape artist (Kate Winslet) who designed the V. gardens during Louie XIV reign (A. Rickman himself) Here's the link. Just thought you might be interested.

Susan said...

Your photos always make me want to travel!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Fantastic captures!

Unknown said...

I remember going to Versailles a few years ago. It was really interesting - I'd love to go back!

- Linking over from Saturday Snapshots

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary R. said...

I love the trees you can look thorough! Great pictures.

Esme said...

great photos-the new exhibit is rather inappropriate. certain body parts are best left alone or to the obgyn. I do like the photo inside the tree.

Paulita said...

Louise, Ha! You find the most interesting aspects of France. I'm not sure that I agree with modern art exhibits in Versailles. It seems like it should be more traditional. Great photos from your visit. I'm glad you are drawn back over and over. Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

Brona said...

I thought I had already left a witty, insightful comment on this post, but it looks like google ate it!

Needless to say your photos are tempting and seductive as always :-)

Jeanie said...

Louise, this is one place I haven't been in France (among many!) and how I wish I could add it to the list. This post only makes me want to add it more!

I do know what you mean about Montmartre. The first time I visited, I was intrigued and somewhat captivated but the tourist thing got to me. The second time when I went with Peter we visited much quieter spots and avoided the crowds (though we did stop at Sacre Coeur and the steps were jammed). It's getting off the beaten path, I think, that helped!