Thursday 11 June 2015

67 Children's Books That Actually Changed Your Life

Buzzfeed is always a great source of book lists. This one from May is no exception.

1. The Phantom Tollbooth - Norton Juster

2. The Giving Tree - Shel Silverstein

3. The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales - Jon Scieszka

4. Matilda - Roald Dahl

5. Who Took the Farmer's Hat - Joan L. Nodset, Fritz Siebel

6. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky (see my review)

7. Harriet the Spy - Louise Fitzhugh (see my review)


I'm going to read this soon. YAY.


8. Harvey the Child Mime - Loryn Brantz

9. The Baby-Sitters Club - Ann M. Martin

10. Ella Enchanted - Gail Carson Levine

11. Charlotte's Web - E.B. White

12. Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery

13. Goodnight Moon - Margaret Wise Brown

14. The Thief Lorde - Cornelia Funke

15. Holes - Louis Sachar (see my review)

16. The American Girl Series

17. A Series of Unfortunate Events - Lemony Snicker (I've read at least the first one of 13)

18. Stephanie's Ponytail - Robert Munsch, Michael Martchenko

19. Are you There God? It's Me, Margaret - Judy Blume (see my review)

20. The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

21. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon

22. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith

23. Danny and the Champion of the World - Roald Dahl




24. Harold and the Purple Crayon - Crockett Johnson

25. The Ordinary Princess - M.M. Kaye

26. Where The Red Fern Grows - Wilson Rawls

27. Guess How Much I Love You - Sam McBratney

28. Bloomability - Sharon Creech

29. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

30. The Paper Bag Princess - Robert Munsch

31. Sideways Stories from Wayside School - Louis Sachar

32. The Moomins Series - Tove Jansson (see my review)

33. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry - Mildred D. Taylor (see my review)

34. Hear the Wind Blow - Mary Downing Hahn

35. The Mrs Piggle-Wiggle series - Betty MacDonald

36. Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll

37. The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis

38. Peter Rabbit - Beatrix Potter

39. Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Paterson

40. The Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling (read 1/7)

41. The Betsy-Tacy series - Maud Hart Lovelace

42. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

43. The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark - Jill Tomlinson, Paul Howard

44. The Watsons Go To Birmingham-1963 - Christopher Paul Curtis

45. Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers - Laura Numeroff

46. The Ramona Series - Beverly Cleary

47. A Bad Case of Stripes - David Shannon

48. Love You Forever - Robert N. Munsch, Sheila McGraw

49. Because of Winn-Dixie - Kate DiCamillo

50. The Velveteen Rabbit - Margery Williams

51. A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle (see my review)

52. The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton (see my review)

53. Oh, The Places You'll Go - Dr Seuss

54. Hatchet - Gary Paulsen (see my review)

55. When Sophie Gets Angry - Really, Really Angry - Molly Bang

56. The Trumpet of the Swan - E.B. White

57. Madeline - Ludwig Bemelmans

58. Ruby Holler - Sharon Creech

59. Number the Stars - Lois Lowry




60. Miss Rumphius - Barbara Cooney (see my review)

61. The Junie B. Jones series - Barbara Park

62. The Giver - Lois Lowry (see my review)

63. Princess Academy - Shannon Hale

64. Dragonflight - Anne MacCaffrey

65. The Wee Free Men - Terry Pratchett

66. The Little House on the Prairie Series - Laura Ingalls Wilder (see my review Farmer Boy)

67. You Are Special - Max Lucado, Sergio Martinez

33/67 excluding series, which is a form of cheating.

September 2015 34/67

October 2016 36/67

July 2017 37/67

4 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

This is a great idea for a book list. I suspect that more children's books than adult books would make a list of books that most influenced your life. Thanks for sharing this.

Sim Carter said...

What a fantastic list! Thanks for sharing Louise!

Sim Carter said...

I don't see a tweet button, but I'm tweeting it.

Louise said...

Deb. It's all covered by Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail.

Kathleen Kelly: When you read a book as a child, it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does.

It's longer than that, but that's all I can find online. I need to watch it again...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128853/quotes

Sim, sorry no tweet buttons... I'm feeling a need to sort out twitter sometime soonish. Thanks for tweeting it for me.