Friday 26 June 2015

29 Books Australians Grew Up Reading

Another great recent buzzfeed list. I'm way too old to have grown up with many of these books, but you can always make up for lost opportunities.

I suspect that this list is meant to be Australian. Certainly at least Hairy Maclary is not. But then what would an Australian list be without something borrowed from New Zealand?

1. Possum Magic - Mem Fox

2. Snugglepot and Cuddlepie - May Gibbs



3. The Magic Pudding - Norman Lindsay (see my review)

4. Diary of a Wombat - Jackie French, Bruce Whatley

5. Imagine - Alison Lester

6. The Muddle-Headed Wombat - Ruth Park

7. Hairy Maclary - Lynley Dodd

8. Grug - Ted Prior

9. The Complete Adventures of Blinky Bill - Dorothy Wall

10. Wombat Stew - Marcia K Vaughan, Pamela Lofts

11. Where the Forest Meets the Sea - Jeannie Baker

12. Animalia - Graeme Base

13. Who Sank the Boat? - Pamela Allen

14. When the Wind Changed - Ruth Park

15. Seven Little Australians - Ethel Turner

16. Where is the Green Sheep? - Mem Fox, Judy Horacek

17. Magic Beach - Alison Lester

18. The Lost Thing - Shaun Tan (see my review)

19. Bamboozled - David Legge

20. Hating Alison Ashley - Robin Klein (see my review)

21. Playing Beatie Bow - Ruth Park (see my review)

22. Adults Only - Morris Gleitzman

23. The Day My Bum Went Psycho - Andy Griffiths

24. Tomorrow, When the War Began - John Marsden 

25. Thunderwith - Libby Hathorn



26. The Burnt Stick - Anthony Hill, Mark Sofilas (see my review)

27. Deltora Quest - Emily Rodda

28. The Gizmo - Paul Jennings

29. Wicked! - Morris Gleitzman and Paul Jennings

13/29

May 2017 15/29

I find the inclusion of three Ruth Park titles interesting and possibly rather odd.

And still there's always a book you've never heard of- here it's Bamboozled for me.

3 comments:

Papierowe okna said...

I need to see if these titles are available in Poland :)

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

If I was in charge of the 1001 list, I'd put Where is the Green Sheep? on it. A big favorite.

Louise said...

I certainly hope that at least some of these books are available in Poland.

Deb- it's an instant classic isn't it? Perhaps my favourite Mem Fox title?