Tuesday, 6 January 2015

Twenty Mighty Girl Classics

Another day another book list it seems. This one from Amightygirl website, which was new to me. It's a great list of 20 classic stories starring smart, confident, courageous girls all published before 1950.

As always the books I've read are in red.

Madeline - Ludwig Bemelmans

Twig - Elizabeth Orton Jones




Betsy-Tacy - Maud Hart Lovelace

The Hundred Dresses - Eleanor Estes

The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett (see my review)

Strawberry Girl - Lois Lenski

The Princess and the Goblin - George MacDonald (see my review)

Heidi - Johanna Spyri (see my review)

The Middle Moffat - Eleanor Estes




Emily of New Moon - L.M. Montgomery

Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Pippi Longstocking - Astrid Lindgren (see my review)

A Little Princess - Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum

The Secret of the Old Clock - Carolyn Keene

Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery

Pollyanna - Eleanor H. Porter (see my review)

Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

A Girl of the Limberlost - Gene Strattton-Porter

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen


10/20

Interesting that only three were written by men. Of the ten that I haven't read there are many that I've been meaning to read for year- neglected classics, with the obligatory few that I've never heard of before- Twig, Strawberry Girl and The Middle Moffat. 

1 comment:

Esme said...

all great choices-I have been meaning to return to these old classics and you gave me another reminder.