Saturday 15 March 2014

Banjo Paterson Festival

Banjo Paterson is a national icon. He wrote many of our most famous poems, Waltzing Matilda, The Man from Snowy River and Clancy of the Overflow among them. He still makes news, and invokes controversy. Recently Orange held a Banjo Paterson Festival to mark the sesquicentenary of his birth.


Andrew Barton (Banjo) Paterson was born at 'Narrambla' near Orange on 17 February 1864. His family actually lived at Yeoval, but his mother had come into town for his impending arrival.

There were many functions as part of the festival, most of which I didn't get to. This is but a taste.

A competition was held for shop windows
Collins Booksellers Orange
won by McDonalds

A competition and sale featuring local artists

with works inspired by the man and his writings


Inspired by Old Man Platypus
Sampa Bhakta

A display at the Orange library

A signed copy of The Man From Snowy River

Original manuscript draft of
The Reveille


Saturday Snapshot is a wonderful weekly meme now hosted by WestMetroMommy

10 comments:

Sean @ His And Her Hobbies said...

The festival looks like it would have been a lot of fun. It has been many years since I have been to Orange but it is such a nice little town from what I remember. Banjo is such a big part of Australian literature so its nice to see that he is still being recognized and that young Australian still know his works. Thanks for sharing these photos. I really enjoyed it.

Peggy Ann said...

Sounds like a fun event. I can't imagine trying to ride one of those old bikes!

Susan Lindquist said...

Fun event! Your Banjo Patterson seems a folkie like our Pete Seeger ... prolific, well-loved, and an icon of national folk culture.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Of course, I've heard of Waltzing Matilda, but I have only the tiniest bit of information about The Man from Snowy River and Banjo Paterson is a name that is completely new-to-me. It looks like you had a great time!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I enjoyed your collection of photos from the Banjo Paterson festival. Looks like it was fun!

Irene said...

What a great success this must have been, I love it when an individual makes such an impact on history. I know nothing of this man, but I'll be researching. Great photos.

Sharon said...

Mention Banjo Paterson and immediately you think of Rex. I didn't know much about him until I joined the Fenemor clan!!

westmetromommy said...

What a fun festival!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I do love Banjo ... Thanks for sharing this. Good on Orange!

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

I've heard of Waltzing Matilda but little about the man who wrote it - until now.