Sunday 3 July 2011

All the Fun of the Fair

Last July I wasn't just sitting at home in the cold dreaming of Paris. Last July I was in Paris! And loving it. It would be so easy to fill my posts with the iconic images of Paris. There are so many, after all. They are famous and iconic for good reason. 



But I've never been one to take the easy path. So I'm going to try and find 5 interesting, different, unusual but still spectacular topics to post for Snapshot Saturday this July in Paris.

One of the things our family loved most during our completely marvelous two weeks in Paris was the fabulous Fete des Tuileries. A wonderful fair that is set up in Tuileries from late June to late August every year. It was set up during out first week in Paris, and we ended up visiting most days during the rest of our stay.


It's an absolute must do when travelling with children. We managed to drag our 9 year old through many churches and galleries with the promise of yet another visit to the fair later in the day. It's free to get in, you just pay for rides, drinks and food.

Nestled in the heart of the 1st arrondisement, and just next to the Louvre


Our son loved these maze type amusements- and we never even had to try to join in, we could just sit back and have a  cold drink!

Adults can beg off the climbing walls too


My favourite ride- the skychair I think it was called

The Fete provided my favourite photo of the entire trip. My son at the end of a ride on the sky chair. He was shouting "I believe I can fly"


I had a spot of fun taking some shots up on the ride. It was rather terrifying zooming out over the Rue de Rivoli. But an incredible thrill too. All for a few euros.

Trying to capture the Eiffel Tower from the skychair

This may not be exactly as it came off the camera


The food at the Fete probably wasn't the typical Parisian delights

I never got to try a churro
Beer in whatever size you want

These ice cold slushies saved my life several times during the Parisian heatwave

We loved the Fete so much that we chose to spend the final moments of our very last night in Paris there. And saved taking a ride on the large Ferris wheel for last.




I got all misty seeing her lit up in the dark for the first time on our last night





16 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Wonderful photos. I especially like the cloud pics and the one of your son - great expression.

Alyce said...

Oh, that looks like so much fun! Thank you for sharing all of these with us! I'm sure the chair ride would have terrified me. :) My boys love those types of fun house places too.

Bev Hankins said...

Absolutely wonderful pictures! I love the black & white one with the tower.

Here's my Snapshot: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/07/saturday-snapshot-july-2.html

Vicki said...

I've always dreamed of visiting Paris. Thanks for showing me a little bit of it.
Here's my Snapshot

bermudaonion said...

Two weeks in Paris sounds divine!

Marie said...

Very nice photos. Paris looks beautiful. I'm jealous. ;)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

What fabulous photos. I love the different views of the E Tower.

Staci said...

Great photos...that looked like a wonderful time for sure. My fave photo is your son's face!!

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

Nice views of Paris. I enjoyed the tour.

Louise said...

Thanks Mary- I love those one too. It's hard to capture sheer joy, but you can see it there.

Thanks Alyce- it was so much fun, and an unexpected bonus on our trip.

Bev- thanks, my photographer husband tinkered with that one.

Vicki-Paris is everything you think and more.

Kathy- two weeks in Paris certainly was divine. On our first visit we stayed in Paris for a week, this time was two weeks.... Hopefully next time will be a month. However long it is, it's always magnificent.

Thanks Marie. Paris makes it so easy.

Diane-thanks. It's always a thrill to see the Eiffel Tower. It's like our Opera House in Sydney, every time you see it you get that little thrill.

Thanks Staci, it's my favourite too. I loved see him share my joy in Paris.

Thanks Leslie, I enjoyed making it.

Susan said...

You take the most beautiful photos. And now I really want to go back to Paris.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

You should go to Jardin des Plantes and find the carousel there (Dodo Manège)... lots of shade for the warm summer days.

Love these photos you have shown and can't wait to see your view from the rooftop of Notre Dame!

Bises,
Genie

Louise said...

Thanks Susan. I really want to go back to Paris too.

We did go to Jardin des Plantes- and it was actually about the only disappointing place I've been to in Paris on either visit. I don't remember a carousel there actually. We went to the zoo. I'm really looking forward to seeing those rooftop gargoyles one time too. Third time lucky right?

Anonymous said...

Those beers are amazingly well-priced for a fair! I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I'm down that way and need refreshment! ;)

Louise said...

Glad to help Camille. You never know when you might need a beer urgently on a hot summers day, do you?

Willa said...

Great pictures, I love Paris