Saturday 9 April 2011

A Perfect Afternoon to Forage

Sometimes living in a small town pays off, especially when that town is in a lovely food producing area. Today I was lucky enough to be a volunteer at one of the key events of FOOD Week, an afternoon ramble called Forage. This was the first time that this even has been held, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What did I have to do? Walk along with the first group and eat. Ok. I can do that!

Our kick off point Phillip Shaw's Koomooloo vineyard

A gentle stroll to the first of 6 stations

Pork Rillette's from Michael Manners
The weather was absolutely perfect, delightfully autumnal

Grape picking technology seems to have changed since I was thrust into the Tyrell's vineyard in the early 80s armed only with a bucket


French Onion Soup

From the second station we could see the rest of our amble


Lamb Pie from Tonic

Oh so cute. He charmed everyone, and we all wanted to take him home

Perhaps the most amazing thing I ate- the new premium brand apples- a Red Delicious that actually was Delicious! I haven't eaten a Red Delicious in decades. I'll definitely eat more if they're like this. 

Bucolic. There are apparently old Cobb and Co track marks nearby, but I didn't find any

Mount Canobolas

Stew never photographs all that well, even if it is called Daube and made by Racine

The linger spot by the dam with lovely musical accompaniment

Very delicious apple and pear sorbet from Edwena Mitchell

There were quite a few empties by the end of the day. Sadly I was "working" and not drinking

Vanilla pannacotta with quince from Lolli Redini

The sun setting on a perfect afternoon
As I was writing about my lovely afternoon, and waiting for photos to upload, I read Margot's post on an American movement called Outstanding in the Field, and thought there was a wonderful synchronicity to  our posts. So I will throw my outdoor eating hat in the Weekend Cooking pot- it was the best sort of Weekend Cooking- done by someone else, eaten outdoors and washed down with plentiful wine!






16 comments:

caite said...

that sounds like great fun!!

Beth F said...

What an awesome day and the weather looks like it couldn't have been more perfect. I love that there was space between the stations -- keeps things from getting crowded and gives you a chance to get ready for the next in line.

Beautiful setting.

TheBookGirl said...

I don't know which is more beautiful, the food or the scenery!

I am curious about those apples; they don't appear to have the traditional shape of a Red Delicious, and I gather from your comments, that they don't taste like a traditional Red Delicious either.

Meg @ write meg! said...

Looks like a positively heavenly way to spend the day! We have many local food festivals where I am in Maryland, and I definitely need to make more time to attend. They're always such fun.

I did go to my first wine festival last year... and what an adventure that was! It was pouring rain on a cold October day, but the spirits warmed us all up immediately. :)

JoAnn said...

Absolutely perfect! Thanks so much for sharing.

Margot said...

And I was thinking as I read your post - It looks like this is the Australian version of eating in the fields. Isn't it amazing how small our world really is?

I lingered on the scenic pictures as much as the food. The clouds and blue sky were so beautiful that day. It was great to see a bit of your landscape.

Susan said...

How gorgeous! And I really want one of those apples. I remember when Red Delicious were crisp and sweet and my favorite apples. Now they are mushy and mealy. Just about inedible. Have they really turned back time and found good ones again?

Chinoiseries said...

What a gorgeous vineyard! You were really lucky to have that kind of weather too (and food, what food!) I particularly like the ice cream (apple & pear sorbet? Yes please) and the vanilla panna cotta. Yum.

Heather said...

your day sounded heavenly. I can't imagine a better way to spend a day strolling outside.

Marie said...

It all sounds like the makings of a lovely afternoon. Great photos!

Kath Lockett said...

What a brilliant way to spend a day - I want the pie and the doggie and the sorbet and the weather and the wine and the.....

Kristen said...

That looks like a completely wonderful event and I am quite jealous. I wonder if there's anything similar here. All I've found so far are festivals with fried food enough to spackle all my cellulite smooth.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos Louise of what sounds like a gorgeous weekend.

Unknown said...

Ah..perfectly lovely. Ashamed to say I had to google mt Canobolas to find out where it is...and interesting to read the aboriginal meaning of the name (2 headed monster, or conjoined twins) Not surprised to see it's near Orange given all that wonderful food.

bermudaonion said...

That looks like a heavenly way to spend the day! I've found that brown food in general doesn't photograph well.

Anonymous said...

This blog site is very impressive,The Internet is an extensive shopping hub where Artificial Jewellery is concerned. Owing to the plethora of collections and options for Imitation Jewellery or Customized Jewellery, consumers like you are perhaps overwhelmed. Read more at 7 Things To Know Before You Buy Artificial Jewellery