Friday 6 July 2018

Claris The Chicest Mouse in Paris



Somehow I had missed the pre publicity for Claris, and so recently I was walking out of my local bookshop (having already bought four books) when I was stopped in my tracks by Claris in the window display. I hadn't noticed her on the way in, despite stopping to look at the Paris themed window. I gasped, turned around, walked straight back in and bought it. I love Paris, obviously. I love kids books. I love Megan Hess's illustrations. And now she's written a picture book. Such a no-brainer that I would buy it, I would read it immediately and that I would love it. All of those things happened.

Claris is the story of a small French mouse. She lives in the mountains of France but is no country bumpkin. Claris fashions haute couture creations from garbage bags. But her friends and relatives just don't care. She dreams of Paris and of finding the stylish people.

Claris gets a lift in a hot air balloon with two frogs, one in a beret. Claris arrives in Paris and sets off to find somewhere to live. There are some hazards along the way of course, like a grumpy cat, and a nasty girl who is a sneering snitch.



From the very outset (with the totally gorgeous endpapers) Claris is utterly delightful. I just love the contrast between Claris' designer outfits and her hairy, mousey little legs.


The story is told in rhyming couplets and is charmant. 

So while the mice feasted on crumbs of éclair,
 she read about handbags in Vanity Fair. 

My copy came with a delightful little Claris pin.



I'm generally too old to have Instagram envy, but oh, Megan Hess's life on Instagram! Can anyone really be that glamorous?


http://australianwomenwriters.com

Paris in July 

9 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Claris definitely looks like a fashion plate. Very cute, and perfect for "paris in july." I hope you put that little pin on a nice hat.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Louise said...

I'm not sure what to do with the pin. I'm not really a hat wearer (but it is a great idea)- they really don't suit me, I wish they would.

Brona said...

When my rep showed me this book early in the year, I thought of you straight away!
Glad it delighted you so much :-)

Louise said...

So predictable I know...

Lisbeth said...

What a delightful story and wonderful illustrations. What is not to love?

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I just might have to get this book for my Grandgirl. I love Paris and she loves what her Grammie loves!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I certainly must look for this book. I hope it’s not one of those wonderful Australian books that takes its time coming to America.

Angela said...

That looks like such a cute book. I think my four-year-old niece would love it. I'm going to add it to my to-buy list!

Louise said...

I think all grandgirls and nieces would love this book.

I just checked bookdepository it looks like it is out in the UK on 7 August.

Amazon.com doesn't seem to have it listed, so I'm not sure when it will be released in the US. So it may be one of those wonderful Aussie books that takes its time coming to America...

I forgot to mention in the article that it is the first in a series.