Saturday 13 November 2010

A Christmas Carol Read Along

Photobucket


What perfect timing. I was planning to read A Christmas Carol this year anyway.  I've been wanting to read it for a few years now. I did start a library copy a few years ago. Got stuck, had to take it back unfinished. Over the past few years I think I've seen every movie version of A Christmas Carol with my son- high budget modern spectaculars, low budget oldies, muppet versions and not. But this is the year I'm actually going to read it.

I've already scheduled it as our Christmas read for 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up. I've bought my own copy, so I can't give up. And it's a nice one. Large format, fake leather bound, illustrations by Quentin Blake- who I adore. I have to finish it. And now there's a blog read along at the exact same time. Too much synchronicity to ignore. I will be reading it. Oh yes. And then I won't have to hang my head in shame any longer at never having finished a Dickens. Sure it will be his shortest published work, but I will still have Read A Dickens. Although I do often toy with the notion that half reading Bleak House twice may actually count as Read A Dickens.

2 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

It's worth the effort. He's (dare I say it) the male Jane Austen - reveals a lot more underneath the layers of dense word play, descriptions and characters.

Louise said...

Oh, I'm sure it will be. I have wanted to read this for so long. Actually I want to read Dickens. All of it. But I'm really bad with books over 500 pages. It takes me months to get through them no matter how good they are.And I have read the first half of Bleak House twice! So many good books to read. Too many perhaps?