Wednesday 29 May 2013

The Environment Award for Children's Literature 2013

I love a good book award me. Tonight I came across an award that I'd never heard of before. Clearly it's my fault as it's been going for 20 years. Each year on World Environment Day The Wilderness Society bestows The Environment Award for Children's Literature. 



The Environment Award honours books that promote a sense of caring and responsibility for the environment through quality Australian children's books.

The Shortlist was announced recently, with the winner to be announced on June 5.

Preschool Category

Our Nest is Best by Penny Olsen and Penny O'Hara
Kangaroos Hop by Ros Moriarty and Balarinji
The Last Dance by Sally Morgan

Primary Category
Ten Tiny Things by Meg McKinlay and Kyle Hughes-Odgers
Tanglewood by Margaret Wild and Vivienne Goodman
Bizi the Musk Duck of Barren Box Swamp by Ann-Maree Thompson

The only title I've heard of before tonight was Tanglewood. I've even read it, but haven't got to blogging about it yet. I'll plan to search the other shortlisted titles out.

And great excitement, the tremendous Jackie French is one of the judges, along with Dr Mark Norman.