Wednesday 8 August 2012

Wondrous Words Wednesday 8/8/12




Wondrous Words Wednesday is a fabulous weekly meme hosted by Bermuda Onion, where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our weekly reading.  

This weeks words are taken from my recent reading of Henry VIII's Wives

1. Paunching (Verb)

Papa was hungry after the hunt and all the work of watering the horses and rubbing them down and seeing to the skinning and paunching of the kill. 

To stab in the stomach; disembowel. The Free Dictionary. 

2. Attainted (Verb)

Her Plantagenet brother, Edward, had been attainted as a traitor and thrown into the Tower.

To pass a sentence of attainder against. (Attainder is the extinction of a person's civil rights resulting from a sentence of death or outlawry on conviction for treason or felony).

3. Assize (Noun)

There is to be a Grand Assize next month that will try all the rebel leaders for the crime of treason. 

A session of a court. A decree or edict rendered at such a session. The Free Dictionary. 

4. Palfrey (Noun)

The lady Anne mounted her white palfrey with its gold-embroidered saddlecloth, and rode to meet the King, followed by a great procession of her courtiers and ladies. 

A saddle horse, especially one for a woman to ride. The Free Dictionary. 

Picture source


5. Caparisoned (Verb)

She had hardly spoken when there was a fanfare of trumpets and everyone looked up the hill to see gorgeously caparisoned horses arriving. 

To outfit a horse with an ornamental covering. The Free Dictionary. 


6. Panoply (Noun)

Compared with the panoply that accompanies royal weddings, theirs was a modest affair. 

A splendid or striking array. The Free Dictionary. 

7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've heard big bellies referred to as paunches - I guess that's related to paunching. I knew panoply only because there was a gift shop by that name in a town we used to live in. They had the definition of the word up in the store. Thanks for playing along!

Tea said...

I love your words. The palfrey is beautiful.

MedicatedMoo said...

Whoo hoo - knew 'em all except 'caparisoned'

Maybe I should caparison myself to celebrate ... ?

Anonymous said...

I also liked the word palfrey.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/08/wondrous-words-wednesday_8.html

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm happy I do not have to "paunch" my kill every day.

Susan said...

Love those old words!

Margot said...

Hi Louiae, Good words this week I especially like panoply. I can use that one.