Sunday 29 April 2018

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon The Fourth


I really thought that this was my third Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon, but it turns out it's my fourth!

We have a 10pm start time in April in Australia, so it's always a bit of a tricky slow start. I made a tactical error with my starting selection I think. I'm so far behind on my #LesMisReadalong and so sad about that that I picked up Les Mis to start. I finished V2B3 in the evening/early hours of the morning, but not before I napped. I should have picked something quicker- Note to Self for November! Yes I'll still be reading Les Mis then, as it's a year long read along.




So some time in the early hours I picked up My Brother's Husband. My first ever Manga I think.  And I got 64 pages in before I conked out at 0230.




So now it's just after 0900, I've been up for half an hour, and about to launch into reading for the day. Which is when I always get the majority of my #readathon reading done. 


1 nap

6 hours sleep
38 pages of Les Mis
64 pages of My Brother's Husband

1300 Hour 15 - entering peak reading time for the Aussies


1 book finished, about to start the second I will finish

1 nap, but touch and go on #2
6 hours sleep
25 pages of The Dress
54 pages of Les Mis
352 pages of My Brother's Husband

1600 Hour 18


2 books finished

2 naps finished
6 hours sleep
19 pages of The Pigeon
25 pages of The Dress
54 pages of Les Mis
306 pages of Long Way Down
352 pages of My Brother's Husband



2000 and into the final two hours

3 books finished 
3 naps finished
6 hours sleep
25 pages of The Dress
54 pages of Les Mis
77 pages of The Pigeon
306 pages of Long Way Down
352 pages of My Brother's Husband



My mind was seriously blown by The Pigeon. Now I don't know what to do with myself. I do want a sprint to the finish, but I'm not sure what I can possibly read. I think I will go with a bit of fashion non-fiction with The Dress, and then maybe try another graphic novel. 

2200 My final tally

3 books finished
4 naps finished
6 hours sleep
40 pages of The Dress
54 pages of Les Mis
77 pages of The Pigeon
96 pages of Persepolis
306 pages of Long Way Down
352 pages of My Brother's Husband

For a total of 925 pages! My biggest ever tally- reading graphic novels and verse novels sure helps get those numbers up. Next time I'll have to try and crack 1000....

2 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Wow. Just wow.

I fully intend to read The Pigeon now. And, of course, Long Way Down (I've had a copy of this for over a year. Sad.)

I am glad you had such a great readathon. Maybe people in Australia need to time-shift. Start the readathon during peak reading times, and such. I'm not sure I could start after knowing that the first hours are eaten up with sleep.

Louise said...

Long Way Down is a really powerful read. It would have been the favourite of my readathon if I hadn't loved The Pigeon so much... I saw you read some Kafka- Süskind is compared to Kafka- I don't think I've ever read any Kafka but now I'm interested but also a bit scared. He's one of those names isn't he? I'm hoping to get my review of The Pigeon up today.

I don't really mind the late start for us, and we are well aware of time zones internationally. Personally I think 8am isn't a great time to start either... I'd have to get up early most days, and then would never be there for the end, at least this way I'm basically awake for the start and finish (although I was actually napping at 10pm last night!). And the whole day of reading on the Sunday is delicious.