Thursday 9 June 2016

The 10 Must Read YA Books

I saw John Boyne speak recently, and he was very, very impressive. Here John Boyne and Jenny Valentine pick 9 of the 10 Must Read YA books, the Hay Festival audience rounded it out to 10. Check out the original article for fabulous endorsements of each book.


Bog Child - Siobhan Dowd

Holes - Louis Sachar (see my review)

The Bunker Diary - Kevin Brooks



A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness (see my review)

Trash - Andy Mulligan (see my review)

Life: An Exploded Diagram - Mal Peet

Looking for Alaska - John Green

Brilliant - Roddy Doyle



How I Live Now - Meg Rosoff (see my review)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon


5/10 - not bad.

The Bunker Diary has gone straight to the TBR. I've been thinking about Bog Child for some time too. Brilliant- depression and the Irish written for kids.


There was a further long list for inclusion by the Hay audience.

Noughts and Crosses - Malorie Blackman

Pack of Lies - Geraldine McCaughrean

Junk - Melvin Burgess

Red Shift - Alan Garner

When Mr Dog Bites - Brian Conaghan

1 comment:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

So many of these are unfamiliar to me. I think we should be compiling a list of recent books that should be on the 1001 list (maybe replacing Platero and I?!)