Monday 21 May 2012

I had a Favorite Dress


I came across this book a few months ago. It was a finalist for the 2011 Cybils awards, for whom my lovely friend Deb Nance at Readerbuzz is a judge. When she announced the finalists after having read 260 nominated picture books I was naturally intrigued. Sadly only a few of them were available to me in Australia at that time, but I sought them out. Happily my library had a copy of this book. 

And it's a fabulous book. 

A little girl has a favourite dress that she wears every Tuesday, because that's her favourite day of the week. 


One day the inevitable happens and her dress is becoming too short, so her mother tells her 

"Don't make mountains out of molehills. Make molehills out of mountains. "


And the girls favourite dress becomes her favourite shirt.  Until the sleeves rip...

If only we could all be as stylish as these kids


Fashion isn't my thing, but I love the lessons in creativity, adaptability and not sweating the small stuff that this book achieves with ease. It's like New Dress a Day for the picture book set. 

The illustrations are fab too. A mix of crayon I think, and water colour, collage and what looks like wool sewn through. 






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delightful ... if I had a child or grandchild I reckon I'd be going for it.

Louise said...

Perhaps you could stow it away for future grandchildren?

Brona said...

I enjoyed this picture book too. I believe it is based on a Jewish folktale that now has many variations - baby blanket to button, coat to button etc.

Louise said...

Oh I didn't know about the Jewish folktale, that's interesting.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Absolutely delightful, my grandaughters would love this , as they adore wearing dresses too.