Thursday 27 January 2011

Top 100 Children's Novels List

I've known about this list for a while, indeed I watched it come to life on Fuse #8 last year. Somewhat surprisingly, I've never tallied up my total. Until now. After a little nudge from my friend Laura. She didn't mean to nudge me, but she'd done her tally, and now I have to do mine.


The one's I've read are in RED.


#1 Charlotte's Web - E.B. White

#2 
A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle

#3 
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling

#4 
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis

#5 From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler - E. L. Konigsburg 
(see my review)

#6 Holes - Louis Sachar (see my review)

#7 The Giver - Lois Lowry 
(see my review)

#8 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett 
(see my review)

#9 
Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery

#10 
The Phantom Tollbooth - Norton Juster

#11 
The Westing Game - Ellen Raskin

#12 The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien 
(see my review)

#13 Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Paterson

#14 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling

#15 Because of Winn-Dixie - Kate DiCamillo

#16 Harriet the Spy - Louise Fitzhugh (see my review)

#17 Maniac Magee - Jerry Spinelli

#18 Matilda - Roald Dahl

#19 
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl

#20 Tuck Everlasting - Natalie Babbitt (see my review)

#21 Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan

#22 The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread - Kate DiCamillo (see my review)

#23 Little House in the Big Woods - Laura Ingalls Wilder

#24 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling

#25 Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

#26 Hatchet - Gary Paulsen 
(see my review)

#27 A Little Princess - Francis Hodgson Burnett

#28 Winnie-the Pooh - A.A. Milne

#29 Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland /Alice Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll

#30 The Dark is Rising - Susan Cooper

#31 Half Magic - Edward Eager

#32 Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - Robert C. O'Brien

#33 James and the Giant Peach - Roald Dahl (see my review)

#34 Watsons Go to Birmingham, 1963 - Christopher Paul Curtis

#35 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling

#36 Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret - Judy Blume (see my review)

#37 Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry - Mildred Taylor (see my review)

#38 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling

#39 When You Reach Me - Rebecca Stead

#40 The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum

#41 The Witch of Blackbird Pond - Elizabeth George Speare

#42 Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder

#43 Ramona the Pest - Beverly Cleary

#44 Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing - Judy Blume

#45 The Golden Compass - Philip Pullman

#46 Where the Red Fern Grows - Wilson Rawls

#47 Bud, Not Buddy - Christopher Paul Curtis

#48 The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits and a Very Interesting Boy - Jeanne Birdsall

#49 Frindle - Andrew Clements

#50 Island of the Blue Dolphins - Scott O'Dell (see my review)

#51 The Saturdays - Elizabeth Enright

#52 The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Brian Selznick (see my review)

#53 Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame 
(see my review)

#54 The BFG - Roald Dahl

#55 The Great Gilly Hopkins - Katherine Paterson

#56 Number the Stars - Lois Lowry

#57 Ramona Quimby, Age 8 - Beverly Cleary

#58 The Wolves of Willoughby Chase - Joan Aiken (see my review)

#59 Inkheart - Cornelia Funke

#60 The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle - Avi

#61 Stargirl - Jerry Spinelli

#62 The Secret of the Old Clock (The Nancy Drew mysteries) - Caroline Keene


#63 Gone-Away Lake - Elizabeth Enright

#64 A Long Way from Chicago - Richard Peck

#65 Ballet Shoes - Noah Streatfeild (see my review)

#66 Henry Huggins - Beverly Cleary

#67 Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher - Bruce Coville

#68 Walk Two Moons - Sharon Creech

#69 The Mysterious Benedict Society - Trenton Lee Stewart

#70 Betsy Tacy - Maud Hart Lovelace

#71 A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning - Lemony Snicket

#72 My Father's Dragon - Ruth Stiles Gannett

#73 My Side of the Mountain - Jean Craighead George 
(see my review)

#74 The Borrowers - Mary Norton (see my review)

#75 Love That Dog - Sharon Creech

#76 Out of the Dust - Karen Hesse

#77 City of Ember - Jeanne DuPrau

#78 Johnny Tremain - Esther Forbes

#79 All-of-a-Kind Family - Sydney Taylor

#80 The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman 
(see my review)

#81 Where the Mountain Meets the Moon - Grace Lin

#82 The Book of Three - Lloyd Alexander

#83 The Thief - Megan Whalen Turner

#84 Little White Horse - Elizabeth Goudge

#85 On the Banks of Plum Creek - Laura Ingalls Wilder

#86 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling

#87 The View from Saturday - E. L. Konigsburg

#88 The High King - Lloyd Alexander

#89 Ramona and her Father - Beverly Cleary

#90 Sarah, Plain and Tall - Patricia MacLachlan

#91 Sideways Stories from Wayside School - Louis Sachar

#92 Ella Enchanted - Gail Carson Levine

#93 Caddie Woodlawn - C. R. Brink 
(see my review)

#94 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome 
(see my review)

#95 
Pippi Longstocking - Astrid Lindgren


#96 The Witches - Roald Dahl (see my review)

#97: The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane - Kate DiCamillo

#98 
Children of Green Knowe - L.M. Boston

#99 The Indian in the Cupboard - Lynne Reid Banks

#100 The Egypt Game - Zilpha Keatley Snyder


Hmmm, 28/100. I've started a few other ones, but these are the ones I know that I've finished. It just means that I have 72 fabulous books to go! 


And now 6 months of fabulous reads later, I've only managed an extra one taking the total to 29- The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

Somewhat sadly, after nearly two years of continual reading, I've only managed to up my tally by 5 to 34/100. Clearly, Holes and The Giver need to move up my TBR. 

March 2013, have added 3 more, now up to 37/100, becoming more respectable. 

Sept 2014, 39/100

August 2015 40/100

September 2015 41/100

December 2015 43/100

June 2017 46/100

8 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

25 for me. My daughter loved reading Laura Ingalls Wilder so I might have to borrow it off her..... and about 74 others!

Louise said...

25 is excellent going. I don't know that I ever read Wilder as a child. I know we watched the tv series.... there's a lot of great reading there for sure- one day I'll have done the 100!

Susan said...

I read 25 (that I'm sure I read. A couple others I have a foggy memory of but I'm not sure why.) However, my 15 year old daughter has read 62!

Louise said...

WOW, your 15 year old is an extremely well read young woman. I'm jealous. You've done pretty well too with 25 Susan.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I have read all but seven. Wow. Of course, it certainly helps that most of the titles are by American authors.

Louise said...

Wow indeed. I'm of course intrigued by which 7 you haven't read..

Unknown said...

Surprised to find I've read 31! At 10, my older daughter has a voracious reading appetite, but loves to read a series of books by the same author in a non-stop frenzy - first she read all of Roald Dahl's books, then all of Laura Ingalls-Wilder's, then all of Judy Blume's (that's a long list!) and is now onto Lemony Snicket and Harry Potter. It's like she has a list like this in her head which she is slowly working through. Or perhaps living in a foreign country she feels reonnected to the English langage world through books.
But I have to ask - where is The Snow Goose? or I am David?

Louise said...

31 is impressive also Fiona. It's somehow dispiriting to be outread by all these well read kids! The Snow Goose is English isn't it? The list was American generated, and so rather American-centric. I'm not familiar with I am David, but have just had a quick google- it looks intriguing.