Tuesday 30 October 2018

My Year (So Far) in Nonfiction


Nonfiction November is about to take over the world again. Here in the blog world it is hosted by Doing Dewey, Julz Reads, Sarah's Bookshelves, Sophisticated Dorkiness and What's Nonfiction?

I watch a lot of Booktube too now and Nonfiction November is on over there this month hosted by A Book Olive and Non Fic Books.

It's fair to say that I'm having a pretty bad reading year. I've only read 49 books so far this year. I didn't really read anything over the past three or four months. I'm starting to work my way out of this Great Reading Slump of 2018 it seems, but it's still slow going. 


Checking my Goodreads tally I see that I've read 14 nonfiction books so far this year. I've also had a slow blogging year so I haven't blogged most of these books, and it seems I haven't rated them on Goodreads either. 


I've really enjoyed most of those 14 Nonfiction books. 


Week 1 Your Year in Nonfiction hosted by Kim at Sophisticated Dorkiness (one of my favourite blog names ever)

What was your favourite nonfiction read of the year (so far)?


I think it would actually be my most recent nonfiction read, The Art of Living Alone & Loving It (see my review). 




I also really enjoyed The Art of Frugal Hedonism (see my review). Oh they're both The Art of ...


And this one is just fun, but rather fascinating. I love junior nonfiction.




I'm almost finished up with the audiobook of Leigh Sales' Any Ordinary Day, which is fabulous and will get a high rating from me. So much to think about in this one. 


I'm more than happy that three of those four books are Australian. And by Australian Women Writers too. 

Do you have a particular topic you've been more attracted to this year?

I've been reading around my tag of Reconsidering My Life and a lot of my reads have touched on that in various ways. Books about ways of living, and also financial matters. 

What nonfiction book have you recommended the most?

Probably The Trauma Cleaner (see my review). It has a lot broader appeal than my three favourites above. And it's Australian too!



What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November?

A few things. This is my second year participating in Nonfiction November, but I really only dabbled my toes in the waters last year. This year I'm hoping it will spur me on to read some of the nonfiction waiting for me on my shelves. I've got a few on the go at the moment that I'd like to get finished too. I also want to blog about some of the books that I've already read this year. Of course I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else reads, and finding lots of interesting new books and blogs. 

11 comments:

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

some unusual titles! My post is here: https://wordsandpeace.com/2018/10/29/nonfiction-november-my-year-2018-in-nonfiction/

Brona said...

After reading your review of The Art of Frugal Hedonism I added it to my wishlist...but it is currently out of print. Oh well, I'll just have to have another visit to Glebe secondhand books :-)

The Leigh Sales book is sitting next to my laptop...it;s calling my name.
Hope that NonFicNov helps you find your reading groove again.

Angela said...

49 books is still a lot of books! Hope you get out of your slump soon!

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

Reading slumps are the worst! And there's really nothing you can do to get out of them, just sort of wait it out and hope things improve. I hope this month helps you turn the corner!

Both of your Art Of books sound great, the idea of "Frugal Hedonism" is funny and great. Thanks for joining us again this year!

Reading with Jade said...

Slump or not - 49 books is a great total of books read so far this year, but great to hear that you are indeed coming out of that slump now.

I've just added The Art of Frugal Hedonism to my wishlist; your review has me intrigued.

Happy reading in November!

Debbie Rodgers said...

I've been in a reading slump this year, too, but managed only 3 NF books. YOu're doing well.

I thought I had The Art of Frugal Hedonism on my Kindle, but I don't! Thanks for the reminder to get it.

JoAnn said...

I have The Trauma Cleaner on audio and am hoping to listen to it sometime this month. And I want to read The Art of Frugal Hedonism based on the title alone!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I wouldn't call 49 books a reading slump. Your theme is fabulous, too. I spend much time, retired, Reconsidering My Life.

Unruly Reader said...

The Art of Frugal Hedonism sounds great! I adore that type of thing.

Sue Jackson said...

Wow, I really can't imagine going months without reading! It's such an integral part of my daily life. I always have one print book and one audio going - and there are always SO many more I want to get to! Glad you got over your slump :)

14 NF so far this year is great! I only read 4 NF before this month, so I needed this extra motivation.

Enjoy your nonfiction this month!

Sue

Book By Book

DoingDewey said...

I'm definitely going to check out The Art of Frugal Hedonism! What a delightful title. And I'd really like to get to the Trauma Cleaner as well :)