Thursday 19 October 2017

15 YA Books That Live Up to the Hype

This week a lovely list from the team at Epic Reads of 15 YA books that live up to the hype. I've only read one of these and it certainly did live up to the hype. Nice that there are three Australian authors (of two books) on the list. 

The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas


Simon Vs The Homosapiens Agenda - Becky Albertalli


Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas


The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken


The Sun is Also a Star - Nicola Yoon



This cover is cooler than I realised


Three Dark Crowns - Kendare Blake


The Girl of Fire and Thorns - Rae Carson


Carry On - Rainbow Rowell


Graceling - Kristin Cashore


Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo


Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard


(On) Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetta


Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Laini Taylor


Illuminae - Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff


The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue - Mackenzie Lee





1/15


Most of these books aren't really to my taste, so I don't aspire to read all of them, but I am embarrassed not to have read On Jellicoe Road and Illuminae. 


June 2018 2/15

2 comments:

Sue Bursztynski said...

I have only read a few of these. I didn't really care for any of them. Throne of Glass was not bad, but nothing I wanted to reread and certainly none of the sequels. Couldn't finish Jellicoe Road, despite all the hype about it - I much prefer her other novels. I was disappointed with Carry On - I much preferred the novel which inspired it, Fangirl.

Still, I hope you find something on this list you enjoy! :-)

Technology In The World Of Harry Potter

Louise said...

Hi Sue, Throne of Glass isn't my sort of thing at all, so I wouldn't even try it til I got to the end of the actual books that I want to read- and as you can imagine that will never happen. I haven't heard of anyone not finishing On Jellicoe Road, although of course books can't be universally loved. I haven't got to reading any Rainbow Rowell, although I saw her speak in Melbourne last year, and was impressed with her wit and humour and feel that I'd enjoy her writing. I will find something there to like- I would expect to like Illuminae and Simon Vs The Homosapiens Agenda- both of which I have in the house waiting.