Thursday 2 November 2017

Nonfiction November 2017



I'm rather excited to be joining in with Nonfiction November for the first time. Nonfiction November is all over at the moment. Bookbloggers and booktubers are both joining in with great enthusiasm it's wonderful to see. I do read nonfiction from time to time, but am looking forward to focusing on it this month, I'm not sure how much I'll get read, but will plunge in anyway.

The questions this week are from JulzReads

What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? 

Hands down my favourite nonfiction of this year so far is The Hidden Life of Trees (see my review). I listened to the audiobook and was in thrall of it from the very start. 


Peter Wohlleben has a new book just out - The Inner Life of Animals. I'm undecided as to whether I want to read the book, or listen to the audiobook. 

What nonfiction book have you recommended the most?

Magda Szubanski's Reckoning is astonishing (see my review). This was another audiobook "read" for me. Magda reads the audiobook and she puts her full vocal talents to use. 



I love nonfiction (and fiction too, let it be said) about Paris and Joan of Arc. I've read lots. 

What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? 

Most of the nonfiction that I've read (especially recently) has been memoir. There's been amazing memoirs in the past few years, lots of them Australian. I have a whole self of bird nonfiction that I need to read sometime- and yet I still keep buying more. I don't read much (any) history, although I do buy it. 

What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November?

I'm looking to broaden my reading. I have a few stalled nonfiction books on my Current Reads on goodreads, and I'd like to get them finished. I'd also like to put AusReading Month (over at Brona's Books) to good use and get some Aussie Nonfiction done. 

I'm really looking forward to discovering lots of new books, new blogs and new booktubers. 

I've already done a Nonfiction November TBR (of sorts). I'm not good at sticking to TBRs, and indeed the first book that I'll finish this month is not on that TBR, it wasn't actually in the house when I made that TBR...


9 comments:

Kim@Time2Read said...

I glanced through your list, then clicked on some of your reviews. I, too, am surprised about the communication between trees! The Hidden Life of Trees just went on my list! (Like you though, just because it is on my list doesn't mean I'll get around to reading it

Louise said...

Hi Kim. The Hidden Life of Trees is incredible- it's well written, and the facts about trees are a real paradigm shift indeed. You appreciate the trees around you even more. I've really come to realise recently that every book I read only serves to increase my TBR, not decrease it (unless I really don't like it).

JoAnn said...

The Hidden Life of Trees sounds fascinating. Glad to know that it's good on audio, too. Reading your review, I was reminded of Lab Girl by Hope Jahren. The sections about plants in that book were so interesting, and I also enjoyed her take on the life of an academic.

Brona said...

The Hidden Life of Trees is patiently waiting its turn on my TBR pile!
Reckoning was fabulous wasn't it? Thanks to the movie Babe, she has some o/s cred - I think her story of belonging & coming out would appeal to anyone, anywhere.

I've just started reading A Rightful Place - Noel Pearson is a very impressive essayist. Easy to read & erudite. I'm learning a lot as well as having some of my vague thoughts & opinions turned into a cohesive, logical, reasonable discussion by someone far more knowledgable. Highly recommended so far.

Kazen @ Always Doing said...

I'm not good at TBRs either - I made a "possibilities list" so I wouldn't get hung up on it. ;) I'm looking forward to seeing what you read this month!

Lory said...

I'm terrible with TBRs -- I looked back at my record of actually reading the nonfiction I thought I would after each Nonfiction November and it was dismal. Still, I love making the lists (hence the topic I'm hosting this year)...so many fantastic possibilities!

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

Just added The Hidden Life of Trees to my TBR! My post is here: https://wordsandpeace.com/2017/11/03/nonfiction-november-my-year-2017-in-nonfiction/

Louise said...

JoAnn, The Hidden Life of Trees is fascinating, I can't imagine anyone not loving it. I know you have a big interest in nature, I'm sure you'll love it. Lab Girl sounds interesting, I've never seen it here. Oh, I just checked and my library has a copy- now to find the time...

Brona, Reckoning is amazing, and yes the themes are universal. I can't imagine anyone not loving it either. I listened to the audio of The Hidden Life of Trees which was a great way to squeeze it in. I know you read more than I do though. I've always admire Noel Pearson, I didn't know he had a book out- ah, I see it's an anthology, my library is just getting a copy.

Kazen, oh I love making up TBRs, I don't get too stressed about it, just wish I had the time to read them all. I'm so bad at them, that the first book I've read for NFN was one I didn't even know about when I made my list...

Lory- yes making the lists is half the fun. Just wish I could read them all too.

Emma, it's amazing, I hope you get to it soon, and enjoy it as much as I did. The author is German, so being Australian, I didn't really know the trees he was talking about, and it was still incredible.

DoingDewey said...

I love listening to books read by the author, especially memoirs! It can really bring a book to life.