Thursday 17 August 2017

50 Children's Books to Save My Life

Tygertale is a great blog about brilliant children's books that I came across recently while I was scouring the internet after reading Elidor (for which I hope to do a review soonish). Tygertale's Elidor post is especially interesting and graphically beautiful  and soon of course I was peering about Tygertale site and found this list. I knew it had to become a Listmania list. 


I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith


The Earthsea Cycle - Ursula Le Guin (I've read the first one, and don't have the will to carry on)


Blackhearts over Battersea - Joan Aiken


Gormenghast Trilogy - Melvyn Peake


The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien (see my review)


The Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder


Alice Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll


Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stephenson


The Railway Children - E. Nesbit


Peter Pan - J.M. Barrie 


The Water Babies - Charles Kingsley


Watership Down - Richard Adams (see my review)


Charlotte Sometimes - Penelope Farmer


The Changes Trilogy - Peter Dickinson





The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum (well most of it, I think I ran out of steam)


Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery


The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness


Journey to the River Sea - Eva Ibbotson


Kensuke's Kingdom - Michael Morpurgo (see my review)


Ballet Shoes - Noel Streatfeild (see my review)

A Traveller in Time - Alison Uttley


Life: An Exploded Diagram - Mal Peet


The Magic Faraway Tree - Enid Blyton


Harriet the Spy - Louise Fitzhugh (see my review)


Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Ian Fleming (see my review)


The Dark is Rising Sequence - Susan Cooper


Bog Child - Siobhan Dowd





Ink heart - Cornelia Funke


To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee


What Katy Did - Susan Coolidge 


The Family from One End Street - Eve Garnett


Are you there God, It's Me Margaret? - Judy Blume (see my review)


The Book Thief - Markus Zusak


The Chocolate War - Robert Cormier (see my review)


The Letter for the King - Tonke Dragt


The Mouse and his Child - Russell Hoban (see my review)


Smith - Leon Garfield 


Grasshopper Jungle - Andrew Smith


The Princess and the Goblin - George MacDonald (see my review)


Gullivers Travels - Jonathan Swift (well most of it, I think I ran out of steam)


Emil and the Detectives - Erich Kastner (see my review)


20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne (see my review)


The Otterbury Incident - Cecil Day-Lewis


Uncle - J.P. Martin


Good Omens - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman


Warrior Scarlet - Rosemary Sutcliffe


Mary Poppins - P.L. Travers


The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle - Hugh Lofting


The Fantastic Four Vol 1. - Stan Lee and Jack Kirby


A Little Princess - Frances Hodgson Burnett




25/50 (ish, there's a few sneaky series in there)

No comments: