Thursday, 13 April 2017

30 of the Best Books to Teach Children Empathy

I'm not sure about a list for teaching empathy, or reading with that expressly in mind. But this is a great list regardless of your reading intentions. So many intriguing books, and as always some are new to me.

El Deafo - Cece Bell (see my review)


Wonder - R.J Palacio (see my review)


Fish in a Tree - Lynda Mullaly Hunt





365 Days of Wonder: Mr Browne's Precepts - R.J. Palacio


The One and Only Ivan - Katherine Applegate


Same Sun Here - Silas House and Neela Vaswani


Inside Out and Back Again - Thanhha Lai (see my review)


Sunburn Rising: Beneath the Fall - Aaron Safronoff


The Family Under the Bridge - Natalie Savage Carlson





Hannah Coulter - Wendell Berry


Brown Girl Dreaming - Jacqueline Woodson (see my review)


Island of the Blue Dreams - Scott O'Dell (see my review)


Jayber Crow - Wendell Berry


Paperboy - Vince Vawter


The Boy on the Wooden Box: How the Impossible Became Possible - Leon Leyson


Night - Elie Wiesel


One Came Home - Amy Timberlake






Tasting the Sky: A Palestinian Childhood - Ibtisam Baraka


Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood - Marjane Satrapi


Where the Red Fern Grows - Wilson Rawls


My Side of the Mountain - Jean Craighead George (see my review)


I Hadn't Meant to Tell You This - Jacqueline Woodson


The Breadwinner - Deborah Ellis


Out of My Mind - Sharon M. Draper





Moon Over Manifest - Clare Vanderpool


A Long Walk to Water - Linda Sue Park


They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky: The True Story of Three Lost Boys from Sudan - Alephonsion Deng, Benson Deng, Benjamin Ajak


The Wall - Eve Bunting, Ronald Himler (illustrator)


Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Paterson 


Charlotte's Web - E.B. White 


9/30




No comments: